Each year, the Bay Area Science & Engineering Fair (BASEF) has provided a forum for HCDSB students and students in surrounding areas in Halton and Hamilton to develop their scientific skills, in preparation for national and international competition.
This year, at the 57th Annual BASEF, 25 projects were submitted by our school district from 8 elementary schools and 2 secondary schools. Remarkably, a total of 16 projects that were submitted by Halton Catholic students won awards at the fair!
Highlights of BASEF
Congratulations on a spectacular finish to the following students:
- Andres Lombo, a grade 12 International Baccalaureate (IB) student from St. Thomas Aquinas School placed 3rd 'Best-in-Fair' and will be moving forward to the International Science and Engineering Fair, in Los Angeles, California;
- 2 projects submitted by Edward Lombo, a grade 8 student from St. Andrew School, and Dylex Suan, a grade 9 student from Corpus Christi School will be moving on to the Canada-Wide Science Fair, in Regina, Saskatchewan;
- 3 gold medals were awarded to Andres Lombo, Dylex Suan, and Edward Lombo for their outstanding projects;
- 1 silver medal was awarded to Taylor Pontet-DaSilva, a grade 8 student from St. Mary School;
- 9 bronze medals were awarded to the following grade 7 and 8 students from St. Mary School: Sofia Reed, Jade Beaudry, Julia Savaglio, Natalia Garbacz, Madeleine Paul, Mirna Aziz, Charlotte Bloor, Julia Lupton, Keelan McVay; and 1 bronze medal was awarded to David Vidican, a grade 8 student from St. Matthew School.
For a complete list of winning projects from the Bay Area Science & Engineering Fair, please click here.