In the event of inclement weather, Halton Student Transportation Services (HSTS) determines whether to cancel school transportation. When the decision is
made to cancel transportation, it is cancelled for the entire day.
In consultation, the Director of Education of the Halton Catholic District School Board
and the Director of Education of the Halton District School Board determine whether to close schools. In most cases, these decisions are communicated beginning at
The decision to cancel buses and/or close schools is communicated in the
Primary Methods of Communication
When school transportation is cancelled and/or schools are closed due to inclement weather the Board's website is updated as soon as this information becomes available. These updates are very visible at the top of each page of the website. Every effort is made to update the website with this information by 6:30 a.m.
If an update is not posted on the Board's website, it signifies that school transportation and school operations are running as usual.
Information relating to any transportation cancellations will be posted. A list of transportation delays and cancellations, as well as a subscription service to receive notifications is available at: Halton Student Transportation Services.
CHCH Morning Show, CITY TV (Breakfast Television), CP 24
FM Radio Stations:
CHFI (98.1 FM), WAVE (94.7 FM) ,Y108 (l07.9 FM), CING (95.3 FM), CKFM (99.9 FM), KLITE (102.9 FM), CBC (99.1 FM), CIMJ (106.1 FM)
AM Radio Stations:
CFRB (1010 AM), CJOY (1460 AM), CHML (900 AM), CKOC (1150 AM), CHWO (740 AM), CHFI (680 AM)
Telephone Recording at Board's Main Switchboard:
A telephone recording will be provided through our Board’s main telephone number: 905-632-6300 or at 1-800-741-8382.
Supplementary Methods of Communication
Parent Notification System:
An email message only will be sent to notify parents and guardians of school closures and school transportation cancellations through the Board's Parent Notification System (between 6:30 and 7:30 a.m.). Due to the volume of emails, some families may not receive this message until 7:30 a.m. For this reason, the Parent Notification System is supplementary to the primary methods of communication (i.e. websites, media, telephone recording). Also, it is important to note that only parents who have provided their email address to their child's school and have opted for this service will receive the message. Parents may check with their child's school to ensure they receive email messages through the Board's Parent Notification System.
School closures and bus cancellations will be tweeted out to Halton Catholic District School Board followers on the Board`s Twitter account.
Important Reminders for 2013-2014:
- Due to housing development in north Burlington and Oakville between Hwy 407 and Dundas Street, the boundary area for bus cancellations and school closures has been changed to include the area south of Hwy 407. The area south of Dundas Street (west of Hwy 407) remains unchanged. Please view map for details.
- Parents need to pay careful attention to the bus cancellation message if their child travels from one zone to another for a specialized program. If your child travels into a zone where the transportation is cancelled, then there will be NO transportation provided for your child that day. Please view map for details.
- When transportation is cancelled, it is cancelled for the entire day. It is at the discretion of the parent or guardian to send their children to school when transportation is cancelled; if they choose to do so, it is then their responsibility to provide transportation to and from school for their child(ren).
- In the event of transportation cancellations or school closures, each school will advise parents and provide instructions when required regarding the cancellation of any unique activities for their respective school communities (for example: secondary exams, parent information evenings, sports events, etc.).
- Throughout the day, weather conditions will be monitored to determine whether schools will remain open for after school hours and community use of schools activities. If weather conditions worsen, the notice on the Board’s public website will be updated, as appropriate, and the media will be advised of any cancellations of after school hours and community use of schools activities through a public service announcement.
- As always, it is the parent's or guardian's responsibility to decide if conditions are safe for a child to travel to and from school.
For more information, please review Board Procedure VI-47 Inclement Weather - Transportation Cancellations and Emergency School Closures. For more information about inclement weather safety, please review our Board’s Inclement Weather Safety Procedure.