At the Special Board Meeting held on July 29, 2020, the Halton Catholic District School Board (HCDSB) approved the 2020-2021 Budget Estimates in the amount of $444,972,964.
The Board’s 2020-2021 Budget Estimates outline an operating surplus of $469,000 and a total in-year deficit available for compliance of $142,000. Revenue has been estimated at $452.5 million, and expenses have been estimated at $445.0 million.
The Board estimates an Average Daily Enrolment (ADE) of 23,903 elementary students and 13,249 secondary students for the 2020-2021 school year, representing an overall increase in student enrolment of 1.9%.
The 2020-2021 Budget Estimates include an increase to staffing to accommodate growth (see page 3, Table 3). A total of 45.5 staff positions will be added for the 2020-2021 school year, including 22 new elementary teachers, 21.5 new secondary teachers, and 1 new school support staff. The Budget Estimates also include a number of program enhancements (see page 4, Table 4).
The final Budget Estimates will be submitted to the Ministry of Education by August 19, 2020.
- School boards operate on a fiscal year that runs from September 1st to August 31st.
- Each year, the Ministry of Education provides funds to school boards through a series of grants. Visit the Ministry of Education’s website for more information on education funding.
- HCDSB operates 45 elementary schools, 9 secondary schools, and 3 continuing education facilities, currently serving over 36,000 students.
- The majority of the Board’s funding allocation is based on student enrolment.
- Elementary and secondary enrolments are based on Full-Time Equivalent (FTE) enrolments for October 31st and March 31st.
- Elementary and secondary FTE enrolment values are averaged to give the annualized Average Daily Enrolment (ADE).
Visit our website to learn more about the 2020-2021 Budget Consultation Process.