I wanted to take a moment to wish all in our HCDSB community a great summer and thank everyone for their ongoing efforts and understanding over the past school year. We made the best of a very difficult situation with the support of our community, and I know our staff worked hard to create conditions to meet the needs of our students, in spite of the extraordinary circumstances.
Looking Ahead to the 2021-2022 School Year
While it is still a little early to know exactly what September will bring, the Ministry of Education has indicated that they will provide school boards with full guidance on the 2021-2022 school organization and health and safety measures during the summer months. In the meantime, we are planning for students to return to full-time, in-person instruction in all of our Catholic elementary and secondary schools for the 2021-2022 school year.
The first day of school for all HCDSB students is Tuesday, September 7, 2021. Click here to view the 2021-2022 School Year Calendar.
- Elementary school students will return to in-person instruction, in accordance with Ministry of Education direction and guidance from Halton Public Health.
- Students will continue to be cohorted with their classmates and homeroom teacher.
- We will continue to offer a remote-learning option through the HCDSB Virtual Catholic Elementary School for families who do not yet wish to send their children back to in-person learning.
- Secondary school students will return to full-time, in-person learning.
- At this time, we are planning for secondary students to begin the 2021-2022 school year in a quadmester delivery model that will include 300 minutes of instruction each day – two courses with 150 minutes of instruction each.
- There will also be an option for students to learn remotely. In mid-August, parents of secondary students will be offered an opportunity to select remote learning for their child(ren) if that is their preference.
We are hopeful that the health situation will continue to improve over the summer months and look forward to resuming, as much as possible, a conventional school setting for all students, which includes extra-curricular activities and school social events.
I provided an overview of the planning that is currently underway for the 2021-2022 school year at the Board Meetings held on June 15th and June 29th. I invite you to review the recordings of these meetings for additional details:
- June 15th Board Meeting – beginning at approximately 22 minutes, and ending at 1:15.
- June 29th Board Meeting – beginning at approximately 17 minutes, and ending at approximately 45 minutes.
Parents are asked to continue to monitor their email over the summer months, as we will be sharing updates as additional information becomes available.
Online Mental Health & Faith-Based Resources
We are offering a number of mental health supports and resources over the summer months to help support our students and families as we transition to the 2021-2022 school year. We also have a variety of daily faith-based reflections created by our System Chaplain, Gillian Federico, that all are welcome to enjoy:
- Summer Support Program for Mental Health
- Mental Health & Well-Being resources
- Grace Notes in Miniature Reflections
Whatever next school year brings, I know that as a system we will continue to thrive because of the vibrant partnership that exists between home, school and parish. Together, we will continue to meet the needs of our students, as we celebrate our faith, model Christ-like behaviour, while nurturing safe, welcoming, inclusive schools.
I invite you to take a few minutes to watch our HCDSB 2021 Year End Message that reflects back on our school experience this year.
I hope the summer months will provide many opportunities for some down time for our students, staff and families. As always, I keep our HCDSB community in my thoughts and prayers.
Director of Education