On Thursday, November 18, 2021, Ontario’s Minister of Health and Minister of Education held a joint press conference regarding COVID-19 health and safety updates for schools.
Below are some highlights from the announcement, as well as additional information received in a memo from the Ministry of Education.
Updates for All Elementary and Secondary Schools
- Before the Christmas break, each student in Ontario will receive a Rapid Antigen Test home kit, which will contain five (5) tests for voluntary screening at home over the holidays.
- As we did for the first two weeks of the school year, when we return to school in the new year, confirmation of daily screening of COVID-19 will be required for all students, staff and visitors during the first two (2) weeks.
Updates for Elementary Schools Only
- For the health and safety of our school communities, all parent-teacher interviews next week will take place in a virtual format.There will be no in-person interviews. You will be hearing from your child’s school with next steps if you had scheduled an in-person interview with your child’s teacher.
- Beginning January 2022, all elementary school assemblies will take place in a virtual format ONLY.
- It is anticipated that on Friday, November 19th, Health Canada will be approving COVID-19 vaccinations for children ages 5-11 years old. More information will be shared with parents and guardians as it becomes available.
Update for Secondary Schools Only
- For the Winter semester starting in February 2022, secondary schools will be able to resume a regular timetable model of 4 courses a day. This is contingent on the support of local public health units.
Winter Break Travel
With the holiday season approaching, it is anticipated that many staff, students and families will choose to make travel plans over the break. We would like to remind all staff and families to follow federal directives related to international travel and quarantine requirements.