Privacy, Records & Information Management 

Information Access and Protection of Privacy

The information on this page will provide you with an understanding and awareness of the access and privacy practices of the Halton Catholic District School Board (HCDSB).

The HCDSB is committed to protecting your right to privacy, while providing the academic programs and services that meets the needs of our students.​​

Personal information is collected under the authority of the Education Act and in accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (MFIPPA).

For more information, please read the Notification of the Routine Collection, Use & Disclosure of Student Personal Information​.

Frequently Asked Questions​

What is the Education Act?​

The Education Act is the provincial law that governs education in Ontario. It enables School Boards to operate and to deliver programs and services to students. The Education Act authorizes School Boards to:

  • Collect personal information for the purpose of planning and delivering educational programs and services;
  • Report on their activities to the Ministry of Education.

Under the Education Act, the Principal of the school is required to compile a student record, known as the Ontario Student Record (OSR).

How Does the Board Collect and Use Personal Information?

Personal student information is collected directly from parents, guardians or students under the authority of the Education Act. Information collected will be used in accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for:

1. Planning and delivering educational programs and services;
2. By Board employees who need to access the information in order to do their job;
3. To comply with legislation or law enforcement; or
4. In compelling circumstances affecting the health or safety of students

Notification of the collection and use of student information is indicated on the student registration form and updated annually through the student information form. Personal information collected and used for any other purpose requires the consent of a parent/guardian or the adult student.

How Do I Access My Child(s) Personal Information?

Students, or parents/guardians can request access to information held by the HCDSB by contacting the Principal of their school that the student or their child attends, or the school that the student last attended. Please be aware that while an individual has access to their own personal information and general records, they do not have a right to access personal information about any other student, unless they are the parent or guardian.

Staff must comply with the Education Act, the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, and the Personal Health Information Protection Act, and will provide you with the information you request for, provided that you are legally entitled to receive it.

How do I correct my personal information held by the Board?

Parents/guardians and students over 18 years of age may request that a correction be made to their records. The Halton Catholic District School Board is required to make the correction where the person demonstrates the record is incomplete or inaccurate. However, the Board is not required to correct a professional opinion, an observation made in good faith, or a record that was not originally created by the Board.

How do I get a copy of my high school transcript
(Ontario School Transcript)

Transcripts / Diploma Requests are ordered online.

All transcripts and diplomas will be sent to you via regular postal mail or may be picked up at the Catholic Education Centre. 

Once your order is recieved and order completed, you will receive an email.

If you chose to have your transcript and/or diploma mailed to you, they will be sent to you by regular mail at this point. If you chose to pick up your transcript and/or diploma, they will be kept at the Catholic Education Centre located at 802 Drury Lane, Burlington, Ontario L7R 2Y2 for one month. If you do not pick up your order after one month of recieving notification, your order be securely distroyed. 

Please note that the Halton Catholic District School Board does not forward transcripts or diplomas to Colleges or Universities, your records are forwarded to you. Student records are confidential. If your child has graduated and is over the age of consent (18), a parent or guardian may not request or receive a transcript without the written authorization from the student.

For questions relating to the process, please contact Privacy, Records and Information Management Services at:

How Do I Access Specific Information?

For access to specific information, please contact the Board office at: 905-632-6300 and you will be directed to the department responsible for the records you are seeking. Staff at the Board office will assist you in determining if the records you are requesting can be released to you through a routine disclosure process, or you must complete a Freedom of Information (FOI) access request, under MFIPPA.

How do I make a formal Freedom of Information (FOI) request under MFIPPA?

You may make a request under MFIPPA by completing the request form. Completed forms must include an application fee of $5.00 which may be paid by cash or cheque, payable to the Halton Catholic District School Board. Please provide as much detail as possible about the information you are requesting. You may send the completed request form and your payment to the Freedom of Information Officer at the Board office:

Privacy, Records and Information Management Services
Halton Catholic District School Board
802 Drury Lane
Burlington, ON
L7R 2Y2

You may also reach the department by telephone at: 905-632-6300 and ask for the Manager, Privacy and RIM. Please review the FOI Request page for more information​.


Can I appeal an access decision made by the Halton Catholic District School Board?

You may appeal a decision made by the Board regarding your request for access to records. The Information and Privacy Commissioner of Ontario (IPC), is appointed by the Ontario Legislature and is independent of the government. The IPC acts as the oversite body to school boards.

If you request the IPC to review your access request, you must complete an application form at or contact them at 1-800-387-0073.

If you would like additional information on the Halton Catholic District School Board’s Privacy, Records and Information Management Services, please contact the Board office at 905-632-6300 or at: or​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​