CLOSING DATE: Tuesday, November 30, 2021
LOCATION: Thomas Merton Centre, Oakville
EFFECTIVE DATE: Immediately
Work Hours: Monday to Thursday from 8:00 am – 4:00 pm
Hourly Rate: $37.17/hour
Reporting to the Principal of Continuing Education and the LBS Supervisor, the Literacy and Basic Skills Instructor plans, organizes and implements an appropriate instructional program following adult learning principles, and encourages adult learners to meet their learning and personal goals consistent with the Ontario Adult Literacy Curriculum Framework. The Literacy and Basic Skills Instructor will regularly monitor adult learning plans, plan and run quality adult literacy classes and regularly assess the learner’s progress to help individuals achieve goals related to further education or training, employment or increased independence. The LBS Academic and Essential Skills program is for adults 19 years of age and older.
- Knowledge of literacy, numeracy, and basic skills; knowledge of Essential Skills/Ontario Adult Literacy Curriculum Framework (OALCF) is an asset
- Differentiate instruction based on learner need
- Use computer technology as a creative means to teach adults to facilitate learning through technology
- Utilize online EOIS-CaMS system
- Track and document learner progress with greater and more detailed documentation of learner activity; Goal-related counselling and task-based assessment
- Responsibility and Accountability for referrals to coordinated programs and services with an increased focus on program tracking and case management documentation
- Work effectively with diverse populations including people with multiple barriers to learning
- Develop knowledge and understanding of Employment Ontario and local community programs and services
- Develop and maintain strong working relationships through effective communications with administration, staff, learners and the public working with a team
- Other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS / EXPERIENCE:
- Teaching experience with adults who have learning disabilities is an asset
- Bachelor of Education degree is preferred or Diploma in Education or equivalent; Special Education qualifications are preferred
- Prior teaching experience in an adult learning environment
- A background in mathematics and/or Literacy and English concepts
- Excellent communication skills, interpersonal skills and organizational skills
- Working knowledge of appropriate software packages
Those interested in applying must submit an updated résumé and a covering letter, detailing qualifications and experience, to the following e-mail address: HRemployment@hcdsb.org by no later than Tuesday, November 30, 2021. Please note that resumes sent to any other e-mail address or by fax or e-mail will not be considered. Please quote the competition number “LBS01-2001” in the subject line of your e-mail.
Human Resources Services
Halton Catholic District School Board
802 Drury Lane Burlington, ON L7R 2Y2
Date of Release: Tuesday, November 23, 2021
The Halton Catholic District School Board will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment process to applicants with disabilities. If you are selected to participate in our recruitment process, please inform our Human Resources Staff of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require. Information received relating to accommodation needs of applicants will be addressed confidentially.