This is a full-time, thirty-seven and one half (37 ½) hours per week, 10 month position with duties effective September 2021.
LOCATION: Special Education Services
EFFECTIVE DATE: September 2021
SALARY: Salary Band 4 – 10 months ($59,311 to $66,741 per annum)
These positions will facilitate and provide access to communication for students who are deaf or hard of hearing within the classroom and educational school setting using American Sign Language (ASL) through the school day. Functions as part of the educational team supporting students who are deaf or hard of hearing.
- INTERPRET: Provide sign language interpretation services to support access to Ontario Curriculum in a school setting, including working with a variety of students who are deaf, deafened, hard of hearing.
- COMMUNICATE, COLLABORATE AND EDUCATE: Communicate and collaborate with, and educate others to support learning goals and educational objectives each student supported.
- ENSURE PROFESSIONAL ACCOUNTABILITY: Ensure professional accountability by maintaining active membership with AVLIC and upholding the highest standards of professional integrity, competence and ethics as outlined in AVLIC’s code of Ethics, submitting proof of membership to the Chief Speech Language Pathologist
- PREPARE MATERIALS: Request preparation materials in a timely manner to ensure accurate and meaningful interpretations for the involved parties, and rehearse materials to be interpreted. Support ensuring that audio materials are accessible and include subtitles and closed captioning as required.
QUALIFICATIONS / EXPERIENCE:
- Completion of a recognized community college diploma or university degree from an accredited interpreter training program. Required to have 1-2 years of field experience and 500 hours of practical clinical experience.
- Membership with either the Association of Visual Language Interpreters of Canada (AVLIC) or the Canadian Association of Sign Language Interpreters (CASLI) is preferred
- Knowledge of a student’s hearing loss and use of equipment (FM Systems, sound fields)
- Knowledge of Deaf culture
- Fluency sign language skills such as ASL
- Ability to work collaboratively with staff and promote teamwork with co-workers
- Ability to practice ethical and professional standards of conduct including the requirements of confidentiality
Those interested in applying must submit a résumé detailing qualifications and experience, to the following e-mail address firstname.lastname@example.org no later than Tuesday, March 30th, 2021. Please note that resumes sent to any other e-mail address or by fax or mail will not be considered. Please quote the competition number “ADMIN–2021-8” in the subject line of your e-mail.
Halton Catholic District School Board
Date of Release: Tuesday, March 23rd, 2021
Competition #: ADMIN–2021-8