What is the Indigenous Education Advisory Council (IEAC)?
IEAC is a joint council of the Halton Catholic District School Board and the Halton District School Board. The purpose of IEAC is to:
- Provide advice on matters related to Indigenous education, initiatives, cultures and traditions;
- Assist in identifying community needs;
- Offer input on the annual First Nation, Métis, and Inuit Board Action Plan.
IEAC is comprised of various stakeholders from Indigenous parents, community members, Teachers, Principals, Superintendents of Education, to local elders with a vested interest in Indigenous education.
What is the Goal of the Indigenous Education Advisory Council?
IEAC’s primary goal is to provide HCDSB with advice on all matters regarding the implementation of the Indigenous education policy: Ontario First Nation, Metis and Inuit Education Policy Framework. Through this policy framework, the common goal is that all students in Ontario will have the knowledge and appreciation of contemporary and traditional First Nation, Métis and Inuit traditions, cultures and perspectives.
Within this policy framework, key strategies include:
- Increase the capacity of HCDSB to respond to the learning and cultural needs of Indigenous students;
- Improve achievement amongst Indigenous students;
- Reduce achievement gaps between Indigenous and non-Indigenous students;
- Provide curriculum for all students related to contemporary and traditional Indigenous cultures, histories, and perspectives;
- Raise awareness of Indigenous education amongst board staff, school staff, and elected Trustees; and
- Facilitate increased participation and engagement of Indigenous parents, students, communities, and organizations in working to support student success.
Currently, HCDSB is inviting individuals to join IEAC! Members will be asked to attend council meetings and advocate for increased Indigenous engagement and local awareness.
If you are interested in learning more about becoming a member on IEAC, please contact Sherry Saevil, Indigenous Education Advisor at: email@example.com.