Session Begins: Wednesday, January 19, 2022
Course Ends: Wednesday, April 27, 2022
Required Synchronous Sessions: Wednesdays from 7:00 – 8:30 p.m.
The French as a Second Language, Part I AQ supports teachers in exploring the diverse ways to approach French language instruction so that all students come to see themselves as active social agents, capable of improving their proficiency in French as a second language. Throughout this course, candidates will:
- Explore what it takes to create a positive culture for language acquisition in their classrooms, where student diversity is acknowledged and addressed
- Deepen their understanding of how culture and plurilingualism fit in
- Explore how the learning environment encourages students to participate authentically and at their own level
- Deepen their knowledge of how real-life opportunities for student learning are created and become part of daily practice
Using the Ontario French as a Second Language Curriculum as a guide, candidates will explore the content knowledge required for effective teaching of French as a second language to students from diverse backgrounds with varied needs. Furthermore, candidates will critically explore research-based strategies that have been shown to support children’s acquisition of French as a second language.
The learning modules throughout this course will support teachers in expanding their ability to make effective teaching decisions that honour student voice and the unique needs of diverse learners in French as a second language.
The language of instruction for the course is French. Opportunities for professional reading, reflection, communication and expression in the French language are provided. In order to take this course, participants must complete an online test to demonstrate their proficiency in reading, writing and speaking French.
Course Eligibility Requirements
- Certificate of Qualification: Must be registered with the Ontario College of Teachers and submit the OCT Certificate of Qualification to the course dropbox at the beginning of the course.
- Successful completion of the FSL, Part 1 Proficiency Test.
The cost of the French as a Second Language (FSL), Part 1 AQ for HCDSB and non-HCDSB teachers is $550.00 per course. This fee is payable at the time of registration.