Session Begins: Wednesday, January 19, 2022
Course Ends: Wednesday, April 27, 2022
Required Synchronous Sessions: Wednesdays from 7:00 – 8:30 p.m.
The Mathematics Primary & Junior Part I AQ provides opportunities for teachers to explore diverse ways to The Mathematics, Primary Junior, Part 2 AQ provides opportunities for teachers to explore diverse ways to approach mathematics instruction so that all students come to see themselves as confident and capable mathematicians. Using the Ontario Mathematics Curriculum as a guide, candidates will deepen their understanding of content knowledge required for effective teaching of math from K to Grade 6, specifically in number sense and numeration. Furthermore, candidates will critically explore research-based strategies that have been shown to support children’s learning of mathematics in ways that deepen their conceptual understanding. Throughout this course, candidates will:
- Understand and interpret Ontario Ministry of Education curriculum, policies and guidelines
- Apply the theoretical understanding necessary to implement and assess programs and/or practices related to primary and junior mathematics
- Integrate expectations, strategies and assessment practices in response to the individual needs of students, and the promotion of student success
- Enhance awareness of holistic environments (intellectual, social, emotional, physical, environmental, linguistic, cultural, spiritual and moral)
- Explore strategies for collaboration with in-school personnel, parents/ guardians and the community becoming aware of a variety of appropriate resources, including technological and communication resources, to enhance professional knowledge in support of student learning
- Explore professional practice through on-going inquiry, dialogue and reflection
- Understand the role of professional learning communities in enhancing professional knowledge and supporting student learning
- Develop awareness of Indigenous perspectives and ways of knowing
- Create and sustain safe, ethical, equitable and inclusive learning environments that honour and respect diversity
Course Eligibility Requirements
- Certificate of Qualification: Must be registered with the Ontario College of Teachers and submit the OCT Certificate of Qualification to the course dropbox at the beginning of the course.
- Must hold Math Primary Junior, Part 1 AQ
- Certificate of Teaching Experience: Evidence of at least one (1) year/194 days of successful teaching experience certified by a Superintendent (not a principal).
- HCDSB Teachers: The confirmation of teaching experience is included as part of the online registration form and HCDSB teachers are not required to submit the Certificate of Teaching Experience Form.
- Non-HCDSB Teachers: The Certificate of Teaching Experience Form must be completed and signed by a Superintendent (not a principal) and posted in the course dropbox within 7 days of the course start date.
The cost of the Mathematics, Primary Junior, Part 2 AQ for HCDSB and non-HCDSB teachers is $550.00 per course. This fee is payable at the time of registration.
There is $50.00 cancellation fee for applicants who withdraw from the course on or before the course drop date. Course withdrawals after the course drop date will not receive a refund and candidates will be charged the full course payment.