Session Begins: January 25, 2021
Course Ends: April 30, 2021
The Mathematics Primary & Junior Part I AQ provides opportunities for teachers to explore diverse ways to approach mathematics instruction so that all students come to see themselves as confident and capable mathematicians. Throughout this course, candidates will:
- Deepen their understanding of what it takes to create a positive math culture within their classrooms, where student diversity is acknowledged and addressed;
- Understand how to approach mathematics in a way that is challenging, interesting and makes sense;
- Discover how the learning environment allows students to participate at their level of readiness, without being afraid to ask questions or make mistakes;
- Explore new ways of knowing how to solve math problems; and
- Examine mathematical approaches that are accepted and valued.
Using the Ontario Mathematics Curriculum as a guide, candidates will deepen their understanding of content knowledge required for effective teaching of math from K to Grade 6, specifically in number sense and numeration. Furthermore, candidates will critically explore research-based strategies that have been shown to support children’s learning of mathematics in ways that deepen their conceptual understanding.
Course Eligibility Requirements
Certificate of Qualification: Must be registered with the Ontario College of Teachers and submit the OCT Certificate of Qualification to the course dropbox at the beginning of the course.
The cost of Mathematics Primary & Junior Part I AQ for HCDSB and non-HCDSB teachers is $550.00 per course. This fee is payable at the time of registration.