At HCDSB, we are committed to creating safe, inclusive and welcoming learning environments that support student achievement and well-being in our Catholic schools.
Human Rights and Equity are guiding values that are consistent both with Catholic Social Teachings, reaffirming the dignity of every individual, as well as the Ontario Human Rights Code, which safeguards students and staff from discrimination based on the protected grounds.
Our commitment to provide ongoing opportunities to acquire the knowledge, skills, attitudes, and behaviours needed to identify and eliminate discriminatory systemic barriers under the Code is embedded in our Equity and Inclusive Education Policy.
As a model learning community that is distinctly Catholic, we support all students to Achieve, Believe, and Belong in accordance with the core principles of Catholic Social Teaching, equitable outcomes for all, the Ontario Human Rights Code and a commitment to upholding Indigenous Rights and strengthening relationships with members of our Indigenous community.
We achieve our commitment to Human Rights and Equity through:
- Board policies, programs, procedures and practices;
- Shared and committed leadership;
- School community relationships;
- Inclusive curriculum and assessment practices;
- Religious accommodation;
- School climate and the prevention of discrimination and harassment
- Professional learning; and
- Accountability and transparency.