At HCDSB, we are committed to creating safe, inclusive and welcoming learning environments that support student achievement and well-being in our Catholic schools.
Human Rights and Equity are guiding values that are consistent both with Catholic Social Teaching, reaffirming the dignity of every individual, as well as the Ontario Human Rights Code, which safeguards students and staff from discrimination based on the protected grounds.
Our commitment to provide ongoing opportunities to acquire the knowledge, skills, attitudes, and behaviours needed to identify and eliminate discriminatory systemic barriers under the Code is embedded in our Equity and Inclusive Education Policy.
As a model learning community that is distinctly Catholic, we support all students to Achieve, Believe, and Belong in accordance with the core principles of Catholic Social Teaching, equitable outcomes for all, the Ontario Human Rights Code and a commitment to upholding Indigenous Rights and strengthening relationships with Indigenous communities.
We achieve our commitment to Human Rights and Equity through:
- Board policies, programs, procedures and practices;
- Shared and committed leadership;
- School community relationships;
- Inclusive curriculum and assessment practices;
- Religious accommodation;
- School climate and the prevention of discrimination and harassment
- Professional learning; and
- Accountability and transparency.
Racism & Discrimination: Responding with Faith, Hope & Love
The following document, Racism & Discrimination: Responding with Faith, Hope & Love outlines the need to address incidents of racism and discrimination, as well as guided steps on how to respond to discrimination in our HCDSB community.
Supporting Human Rights & Equity
At HCDSB, the Senior Manager, Human Rights and Equity addresses our commitment to creating and maintaining safe, inclusive and welcoming learning environments that support student achievement and well-being in our Catholic schools. Responsibilities include:
- Providing education and information on human rights and equity issues in education.
- Embedding equity and human rights principles in Board policies, procedures and practices.
- Supporting equitable teaching and learning opportunities for all students, which involves raising awareness of Culturally Responsive and Relevant Pedagogy amongst HCDSB staff.
- Supporting voluntary student data collection and analysis to identify and address systemic barriers, as outlined in the Anti-Racism Act, 2017.
If you have any questions or comments to share about Human Rights and Equity at HCDSB, please contact Sita Jayaraman, Senior Manager, Human Rights and Equity through email: email@example.com or through phone at: 905-632-6300 ext. 146.