Information Access and Protection of Privacy

The Halton Catholic District School Board (HCDSB) is committed to protecting the right to privacy for students, staff, and families.

Personal information is collected under the authority of the Education Act and in accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (MFIPPA).

For more information, please read the Notification of the Routine Collection, Use & Disclosure of Student Personal Information​.

What is the Education Act?

The Education Act is the provincial law that governs education in Ontario and authorizes school boards to:

  • Collect personal information for the purpose of planning and delivering educational programs and services;
  • Report on their activities to the Ministry of Education.

Under the Education Act, the Principal of the school is required to compile a student record, known as the Ontario Student Record (OSR).

How Does the Board Collect and Use Personal Information?

Personal student information is collected directly from parents, guardians or students under the authority of the Education Act. Information collected will be used in accordance with MFIPPA for:

1. Planning and delivering educational programs and services;
2. By Board employees who need to access the information in order to do their job;
3. To comply with legislation or law enforcement; or
4. In compelling circumstances affecting the health or safety of students

Notification of the collection and use of student information is indicated on student registration forms and updated annually. Personal information collected and used for any other purpose requires the consent of a parent/guardian or the adult student.

How Do I Access My Child(s) Personal Information?

Parents/guardians can request access to information held by the HCDSB by contacting the Principal of their school, or the school that the student last attended. While an individual has access to their own personal information and general records, they do not have a right to access personal information about any other student, unless they are the parent or guardian.

How Do I Correct my Personal Information Held by the Board?

Parents/guardians and students over 18 years of age may request a correction be made to their records. HCDSB is required to make the correction when the student record is incomplete or inaccurate. However, the Board is not required to correct a professional opinion, an observation made in good faith, or a record that was not originally created by the Board.

How Do I Get a Copy of my High School Transcript
(Ontario School Transcript)

Transcripts and Diploma Requests are ordered online

All transcripts and diplomas will be sent to you via regular postal mail or may be picked up at the Catholic Education Centre (802 Drury Lane, Burlington, ON). 

Once your order is received and completed, you will receive a confirmation email.

If you choose to pick up your transcript and/or diploma, it will be kept at the Catholic Education Centre for one month. If you do not pick up your transcript and/or diploma after one month of receiving a notification email, your order will be destroyed securely. 

NOTE: HCDSB does not forward transcripts or diplomas to Colleges or Universities as student records are kept confidential. If your child has graduated and is over the age of consent (18 years), you may not request or receive a transcript without the written authorization from your son or daughter.

For questions about obtaining a student transcript or diploma, please contact Privacy, Records and Information Management Services at:

How Do I Access Specific Information?

For access to specific information, please contact the Board office at: 905-632-6300 and you will be directed to the department responsible for the records you are seeking. Staff at the Board office will assist you in determining if the records you are requesting can be released to you through a routine disclosure process, or you must complete a Freedom of Information (FOI) access request, under MFIPPA.

How Do I Make a Formal Freedom of Information (FOI) Request Under MFIPPA?

You may make a request under MFIPPA by completing a request form. Completed forms must include an application fee of $5.00 which may be paid by cheque, payable to the Halton Catholic District School Board or credit card if using online form. Please provide as much detail as possible about the information you are requesting. You may send the completed request form and your payment to the Freedom of Information Officer at the Board office:

Privacy, Records and Information Management Services
Halton Catholic District School Board
802 Drury Lane
Burlington, ON
L7R 2Y2

You may also reach the department by telephone at: 905-632-6300 and ask for the Manager, Privacy and RIM. Please review the FOI Request page for more information.

Can I Appeal a Decision Made by HCDSB?

You may appeal a decision made by the Board regarding your request for access to records. The Information and Privacy Commissioner of Ontario (IPC), is appointed by the Ontario Legislature and is independent of the government. The IPC acts as the overseeing body to school boards.

If you request the IPC to review your access request, you must complete an application form at or contact them at 1-800-387-0073.

If you would like additional information from HCDSB’s Records and Information Management Services, please contact the Board office at 905-632-6300 or through email at: or​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​