In the event of inclement weather, Halton Student Transportation Services (HSTS) determines whether to cancel school transportation. When the decision is made to cancel transportation, it is cancelled for the entire day.
In consultation, the Director of Education of the Halton Catholic District School Board and the Director of Education of the Halton District School Board determine whether to close schools.
In most cases, these decisions are communicated beginning at 6:30 a.m.
Learn More About the Inclement Weather Process
HCDSB’s Inclement Weather Infographic outlines the process of determining whether student transportation is cancelled and if schools are closed, due to inclement weather.
How Will I Know if it’s a Snow Day?
The decision to cancel buses and/or close schools is communicated in the following ways:
Board Website: (www.hcdsb.org)
Our Board website is updated as soon as school transportation is cancelled and/or schools are closed due to inclement weather. These updates are made visible at the top of each page of the website. Every effort is made to update the website with this information by 6:30 a.m.
Please note: If an inclement weather update is not posted on the Board’s website, school transportation and school operations are running as usual.
HCDSB Social Media Channels
School closures and transportation cancellations is shared on Halton Catholic District School Board social media accounts:
HSTS Website: (www.haltonbus.ca)
CHTV (Morning Show), CITY TV (Breakfast Television), CP 24
FM Radio Stations:
CHFI 98.1 FM, WAVE 94.7 FM, Y108/107.9 FM, 95.3 FRESH FM, 102.9 KLITE FM, CBC/CBLT 99.1 FM, CIMJ 106.1 FM
AM Radio Stations:
CFRB 1010 AM, CHML 900 AM, CKOC 1150 AM, CJOY 1460AM, ZOOMER RADIO AM 740, AM 680NEWS
Telephone Recording at Board’s Main Switchboard:
A telephone recording will be provided through our Board’s main telephone number: 905-632-6300 or at 1-800-741-8382.
- When transportation is cancelled, it is cancelled for the entire day. It is at the discretion of the parent or guardian to send their children to school when transportation is cancelled. If they choose to do so, it is then their responsibility to provide transportation to and from school for their child(ren).
- Due to housing development in north Burlington and Oakville between Hwy 407 and Dundas Street, the boundary area for bus cancellations and school closures has been changed to include the area south of Hwy 407. The area south of Dundas Street (west of Hwy 407) remains unchanged. Please view map for details.
- Parents need to pay careful attention to the bus cancellation message if their child travels from one zone to another for a specialized program. If your child travels into a zone where the transportation is cancelled, then there will be NO transportation provided for your child that day. Please view map for details.
- In the event of transportation cancellations or school closures, each school will advise parents and provide instructions when required regarding the cancellation of any unique activities for their respective school communities (for example: secondary exams, parent information evenings, sports events, etc.).
- Throughout the day, weather conditions will be monitored to determine whether schools will remain open for after school hours and community use of schools activities. If weather conditions worsen, the notice on the Board’s public website will be updated, as appropriate, and the media will be advised of any cancellations of after school hours and community use of schools activities through a public service announcement.
- As always, it is the parent’s or guardian’s responsibility to decide whether or not to send their children to school on inclement weather days.
For more information, please review Board Procedure VI-47 Inclement Weather – Transportation Cancellations and Emergency School Closures. For more information about inclement weather safety, please review our Board’s Inclement Weather Safety Procedure.