Daily COVID-19 Screening
Monitoring for symptoms of COVID-19 in students and staff is essential to keeping our school communities healthy and safe.
- The COVID-19 School and Child Care Screening Tool must be completed by all staff, students (parents) and essential visitors prior to entering the school or work site each day.
- All staff must confirm they have completed the self-screening and received a ‘pass’ to attend work/school.
- Signs will be posted at main entrances as a reminder of the screening requirements.
- Individuals experiencing symptoms consistent with COVID-19 as identified in the screening tool must not attend school/work and should follow the guidance provided in the screening tool.
- Absences must be reported for both staff and students.
Suspect Case of COVID-19 or Failed COVID-19 School and Child Care Screening
Any staff, student or visitor that does not pass the screening procedures should not attend school/work.
HCDSB staff must complete a self-assessment screen for COVID-19 symptoms BEFORE arriving at work using the COVID-19 School and Child Care Screening Tool
- Follow the direction of the COVID-19 School and Child Care Screening
- Go home or stay home when exhibiting one or more COVID-like symptoms and inform their School Principal or supervisor immediately.
- Enter absence accordingly. See more details about absence reporting here (StaffNet link).
- Follow Public Health orders, including self-isolation while waiting for results.
- Return to work when cleared by Public Health
Parents/guardians must perform daily screening of their child(ren) including weekends and holidays for COVID-19 symptoms. BEFORE leaving for school, parents and guardians must use the COVID-19 School and Child Care Screening Tool.
Parents/guardians must also:
- Monitor their child(ren) for signs and symptoms (including atypical symptoms) of COVID-19.
- If any signs or symptoms, students must stay home, and school must be contacted. See Section- Management of COVID-19 in Schools.
- Keep their child home or stay home when exhibiting one or more COVID-like symptoms. Absences must be reported accordingly.
- Follow the direction of the COVID-19 School and Child Care Screening Tool.
- Report positive test results to the school immediately.
- Only return to school when directed by Public Health.
Scheduled and approved visitors are permitted on school property. See Visitor Protocol for further information.
Visitors must complete a self-assessment screen for COVID-19 symptoms BEFORE arriving at work/ school using the COVID-19 School and Child Care Screening Tool
- Follow the direction of the COVID-19 School and Child Care Screening Tool
- Only enter the school if scheduled and approved to enter and follow all COVID-19 preventative measures.
- Go home or stay home when exhibiting one or more COVID-like symptoms
- Report to the School Principal or location supervisor if symptoms and or positive test results result within 48 hours of attending an HCDSB site
- Follow Public Health orders.
Daily Confirmation of COVID-19 Self-Screening
The Ministry of Education provides direction on the confirmation of COVID-19 self-screening for students, staff and visitors. COVID-19 self-screening is subject to change, based on the requirements set by the Ministry of Education.
Screening of School Staff
- All staff are to complete and provide daily confirmation/proof of having self-screened, prior to or upon arrival at school.
- Staff will need to complete an online form each day they work from school. This may be done from home by clicking on the link provided by the School Principal, or upon arrival at school by using the QR code that will be posted at the school.
- Any staff who does not pass the on-site screening procedures will be asked to return home and self-isolate until they meet the criteria for return.
Daily Screening for Students
The Ministry of Education has directed all schools to implement daily confirmation of COVID-19 self-screening for all students attending school in person. This will be in place for the first two weeks of the school year, unless otherwise directed by the Ministry of Education.
Confirmation of the daily screening must be provided to the classroom teacher in one of the following formats:
- Email results to classroom teacher;
- Show “pass” confirmation on a personal device;
- Show printed copy of the screening tool indicating the current date and a “pass”; OR
- Complete Confirmation of Daily COVID-19 Student Screening Log, which students will bring back and forth to school each day.
Screening of School Visitors
Any visitors are required to self-screen and provide confirmation of daily self–screening prior to or upon arrival at school. This includes occasional staff.