Newcomer Families and ESL Students
Our Welcome Centres in Oakville and Milton provide students and their families new to Canada, with guidance and support as they become familiar with the Region of Halton, and their new school environment.
Some of the services offered at our Welcome Centres include:
- Math and language assessments for students
- Access to community services and resources for parents
- Access to the Youth Settlement Program
For more information, visit: https://www.hcdsb.org/parents/new-to-canada/
Our Settlement Workers are available to support newcomer families as we transition into the 2021-2022 school year.
ESL, ELD, and English Language Learners
- Initial language and math assessments will be administered remotely through our Welcome Centres for secondary English Language Learners who are new to HCDSB. Remote elementary assessments will begin in the fall.
- ESL teachers will continue to support English Language Learners in elementary and secondary schools in consultation with school administration, staff, and parents
- Instructional delivery will be provided in both the conventional and adapted models as well as for remote learning.
- Program delivery will be provided in accordance with health and safety protocol expectations.
Adult and Continuing Education
Newcomer Families & ESL Students